7 Pure Colloidal Silver Uses: Anti-Bacterial, Antiviral, Anti-Inflammatory
- In ancient times, colloidal silver uses were treating infections and preventing food from spoiling.
- Though it was no longer used after modern-day antibiotics were developed, with the growing problem of antibiotic resistance, colloidal silver is making a come-back.
- Read on to learn about colloidal silver uses and how to treat various health conditions using colloidal silver.
You might have heard about colloidal silver and wondered about colloidal silver uses. Colloidal silver stopped being used when antibiotics were invented, but today, we desperately need an alternative to antibiotics as some strains of bacteria have become resistant to it. Antibiotics were given to adults and children alike at the smallest indication of illness.
In most of those cases, antibiotics were not even necessary. This is especially the case with viruses as viruses are not affected by antibiotics. Doctors often didn't run tests to determine whether the illness was caused by virus or bacteria either because of time constraints, lack of facilities, or just because they felt it was the quickest way to deal with an illness.
Pure colloidal silver is capable of doing this and much more. In this article, you will find out what the uses of pure colloidal silver are and how to choose the correct product.
What Is Colloidal Silver
Colloidal silver is nano-sized particles of silver which are usually suspended in demineralized water. This is what true or pure colloidal silver is. Colloidal silver was used in ancient times and the middle ages when it was seen how silver could be used to keep food from spoiling and stop infections. It was used back then to purify the blood, treat infections, and even treat halitosis.
There are many doctors and medical websites that maintain that colloidal silver has no benefits and that the risks outway the benefits. The most common side effect is argyria, a non-curable but harmless condition where the skin and eyes turn a blue-gray color. But the research that they base their opinions on is old. Since then, numerous studies have been done showing that colloidal silver can be used as an effective treatment for many different ailments and that not all types of silver solutions cause argyria.
In this article, I will be focusing on the colloidal silver uses for humans, but it can also be used in the kitchen, garden, and to improve the health of your pets too.
Colloidal Silver Uses
Colloidal silver has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties making it a great natural alternative treatment for a wide range of ailments.
Colloidal silver can help clear up sinus problems caused by infections or by allergies. It's best to use it in the form of a nasal spray or by putting the drops into your nose. You can also use these drops in a neti pot and perform a nasal rinse:
- To do a nasal rinse, add lukewarm distilled water to the neti pot
- Create either a salt solution by adding a pinch of Himalayan salt or mix in the premade solution according to the instructions. The premade solution can be bought at pharmacies or online.
- You can add the colloidal silver to this solution.
- Stand over a basin and let the solution trickle into the top nostril (breath only through your mouth).
- Depending on the position of your head, the liquid will come out of your bottom nostril or out of your mouth. This rinses your sinuses.
Amount of colloidal silver to use: 5 drops either as a nasal spray, drops or added to your neti pot solution.
2. Eye Infections And Inflammation
Eye infections can be caused by a variety of things. Eye infections can be caused by a virus, bacteria, or a fungus. Colloidal silver is very useful in treating eye infections like pink eye or a sty but because of its wide-spectrum antimicrobial properties, it can be used to treat most types of eye infections. Colloidal silver also helps to reduce pain and inflammation in the eye.
This can be helpful for when the eyeball is scratched due to debris as well as reducing the inflammation that comes with infections.
Amount of colloidal silver to use: 1-3 drops per eye. You can use it up to four times a day until the infection and pain are gone. If you struggle with dry eye, click here to learn about how to treat and prevent it permanently.
3. Ear Infections
Colloidal silver is just as effective against ear infections. Whether the ear pain is caused by blocked sinuses, mucus from a cold or flu, virus, bacteria, or fungus, colloidal silver can take care of it. If your ear is clogged due to a sinus infection or because you have a cold or the flu, follow those protocols in order to get to the source of the problem. Any infections in the ear can be treated using colloidal silver because of its antimicrobial properties that will target the cause of the infection in your ear.
Amount of colloidal silver to use: 2 drops per ear twice a day. You can do this until the infection is cleared up.
4. Colds, Flu, And Respiratory Infections
Because of its antiviral properties, colloidal silver is a great alternative to conventional medication which can cause more harm than good over time or with constant use. It has such strong antiviral properties that it's even an effective antiviral against HIV/AIDS. Though it doesn't cure HIV or AIDS, it does slow down the progression of HIV and AIDS.
Colloidal silver can also be an effective treatment for respiratory illnesses like pneumonia and bronchitis when used in a nebulizer though it also works when you drink it. It's just more effective in a nebulizer. If you are struggling to breathe, it is best to go see your doctor to rule out serious infection or other underlying causes. Congestion comes with colds and flu, as do sore throats. Colloidal silver can take care of both those problems.
It's even safe and effective for use by children. To help with a sore throat, gargle with the colloidal silver. Be sure to spit it all out when you are done. To treat a cold or flu you can drink some colloidal silver in order to kill off the virus.
Amount of colloidal silver to use (Gargling): 1-2 teaspoons
Amount of colloidal silver to use (Drink): 1 medicine dropper full
Amount of colloidal silver to use (Nebulizer): 1 teaspoon in the nebulizer up to 3 times a day
Here are some more tips on how to treat colds and flu naturally and safely. Children are often incorrectly prescribed antibiotics for fevers which can cause problems down the line. Click here to learn how to treat a fever naturally.
5. Eczema And Psoriasis
Because of its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, colloidal silver can be used to treat a variety of skin problems. The itch, irritation, and inflammation that occurs with eczema and psoriasis can be relieved when colloidal silver is applied to the affected skin. It stimulates the healing of the skin as well. Click here to learn how to stop the eczema itch permanently. You can also try this simple DIY eczema cream recipe.
Amount of colloidal silver to use: 2-5 drops daily.
6. Other Skin Ailments
The antibacterial properties will take care of acne when applied regularly as long as the cause is not hormonal imbalances. If this is the case, the acne will heal but the acne will keep appearing. Hazardous chemicals that we are exposed to every day can cause hormonal imbalances. You can also help your body to get rid of these toxins using herbs and natural supplements. You can also treat warts, shingles, and herpes. Because they are caused by viruses the colloidal silver is very effective against them. Fungal infections like ringworm can also be treated using colloidal silver.
Amount of colloidal silver to use: 2-5 drops daily. You can apply the colloidal silver to the plaster (band-aid) provided that your skin ailments make this possible. This will prevent the drops from running off your skin.
Soothing the pain and preventing a wound from becoming infected is very important. Colloidal silver can do this for burns, cuts, or scrapes. In this study colloid silver was used in the form of a gel to treat the leg of a wounded man. In this study, a colloidal silver gel was used once again but this time to treat wounded mice. Both studies show how effective colloidal silver is.
Amount of colloidal silver to use: 2-5 drops daily. In the case of the wounds being small enough, you can apply the colloidal silver to a plaster. If you have a burn, make sure that the sticky part of the plaster is not touching the burn. The wounds may also need time to breathe so that they can scab over, so unless directed to by a medical professional, don't keep your wounds closed 24 hours a day.
What To Look For When Buying Colloidal Silver
Colloidal silver is available online and at most health stores and even pharmacies. But there are products out there, however, that are labeled as colloidal silver but are, in fact, cheap and ineffective imitations.
Be Sure To Purchase Pure Colloidal Silver:
- Ionic silver: This is generally a mix of mostly ionic silver with a little bit of actual colloidal silver. These solutions are usually clear like water or have a slight yellow tinge. If you add salt to the ionic silver, the solution will become cloudy. This is a clear indication that the solution is not true colloidal silver.
- Silver protein: Silver protein powder is added to water or protein is added to the silver solution. Sometimes gelatine is added to keep the large silver particles suspended. It will foam when shaken and colors vary between dark orange and black.This product is responsible for side effects like argyria.
These types of silver are not effective, particularly the silver protein. Whilst the ionic silver may have some effect, it will never be as effective as pure or true colloidal silver.
Pure Colloidal Silver
- Composition: True colloidal silver will be comprised of 50-80% nano-sized particles of silver. There may be ionic silver, but that concentration should be no more than 49%.
- Color: Generally the silver particles block the light. But according to Dr. Mercola the color is not meant to be dark because this indicates larger particles and proteins. Rather it's clear or a pale blue color. This makes sense considering that silver protein ranges from dark orange to black.
True colloidal silver will not need any protein or special additives. The higher the concentration of silver particles the more effective the colloidal silver will be. Use this guide when you buy colloidal silver to make sure that you are getting the real deal. Ppm above 20 is considered to be dangerous, so always look out for the ppm.
As mentioned, you want to find a pure and top quality form of colloidal silver to prevent the occurrence of argyria, but here are some other tips to follow:
- Use only when necessary: Colloidal silver is an excellent natural product, but using it for long periods of time or when it isn't necessary can cause a buildup of silver in the body over a time. Though the risk is smaller, there is still a risk that bacteria can build up a resistance to bacteria just as with antibiotics. It has already started to happen with E.coli.
- Use only as directed: Using excessive amounts of colloidal silver can end up causing an unhealthy buildup and in some cases argyria. Too much of anything is never good, even natural products which are generally the safer alternative to mainstream medicine.
- Test for sensitivity before use: Some people are allergic to silver. If you are allergic to silver do not use colloidal silver. If you are unsure, do a patch test first by applying a drop to the inside of your arm. Wait a day or two to see if there is any reaction.
Note that most of the studies carried out on the effects of colloidal silver were mainly only done topically (on the skin) or in vitro (a petri dish), and in some cases, only in animals. Though research showed promising results for various health conditions, research is still ongoing. We are all different, so what works for me might not work for you. So if you do experience any negative effects, stop using it immediately. For more guidelines about how to use colloidal silver safely, read these guidelines.
- Pure colloidal silver is a solution of nano-sized particles of silver suspended in distilled water.
- Be sure to buy a solution that is comprised of 50-80% silver nano particles.
- Ionic silver and silver protein is often marketed as colloidal silver. They are cheaper imitations.
- Silver protein, in particular, can cause a harmless but irreversible condition called argyria which turns your skin and eyes a blue-gray color.
- Colloidal silver has antiviral, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Colloidal silver can be used to treat sinus infections, eye infections, ear infections, various skin ailments, colds and flu, respiratory tract infections, burns, cuts, and scrapes.
- Use colloidal silver only when necessary and only as directed.
Have you used colloidal silver to treat any health conditions? Please let us know how it went.