Natural Full Body Detoxification Process : The Leading Medical Expert
Our bodies are designed to fight off the toxins and dump them out of the body. But, the problem is that toxins burden is increasing on the body making them incapable to handle. If we do not want to face any serious illness down the road, it is important that we are aware what natural methods helps body detox effectively and what are the most effective and aggressive ways to detox.
Make sure that you read this article until the end if you want to clear your body off the stubborn toxins that are accumulated since years.
What Is Detoxification
Your body goes through the detoxification process daily. The body gets rid of toxins in the following ways:
- Liver: The liver filters the blood, prevents toxins from entering it, and makes sure that toxins can be taken care of and excreted by all the other organs and also destroys toxins that we take in. For example, when you have food poisoning you will throw up, or with our diet, the body also builds up nitrogen when processing protein, the liver gets rid of the excess.
- Skin: When you sweat, especially through exercise or using a sauna, your body excretes toxins.
- Kidneys: Your kidneys filter your blood and the toxins (usually urea and ammonia) are then excreted in your urine. An example of this is when you drink alcohol. As the body sees it as a toxin (and it is essentially), you will then go to the bathroom more often to get rid of it.
- Intestines: This is why it's so important to keep your gut healthy. Healthy bacteria help to break down toxins. Your body also excretes waste through defecation. Toxins also get expelled the same way sometimes, as in the case with a stomach bug or food poisoning.
- Lungs: Lungs make sure you have the correct balance between oxygen and carbon dioxide, but is also useful for filtering out toxins that we breathe in.
- Lymphatic system: A big part of your immune system is the lymphatic system. Together with your white blood cells, the lymph fluid and nodes work to get rid of any pathogens in your body.
Detoxing has gained a lot of hype because the toxic overload on the body is much more than the body's ability to detox. So we need to give a helping hand to the liver. When you detox, you support the body's own natural processes to get rid of the toxins.
The Three Phases Of Detoxification
- Phase I: This is where toxins are turned into less toxic substances or neutralized. This phase takes care of medication and recreational drugs. This is done by cytochrome P450, a group of enzymes. This happens in the liver as does phase II.
- Phase II: This phase takes care of carcinogenic substances and heavy metals. They are transformed into less toxic substances to be excreted. This is done by an enzyme called glutathione in addition to superoxide dismutase (SOD). This is all regulated by a protein called nuclear factor erythroid-derived 2 (Nrf2) which controls antioxidant response.
- Phase III: This is the phase where the toxins are removed from your body. Your liver, kidneys, gallbladder, respiratory system, intestines are all part of this process.
Brain Suffers The Most
Mixing up the names of people, starting to forget numbers, forgetting where keys are, not able to recall the name of the person you met last week are all signs of Toxic loads in the brain. According to this study, the toxins that your body is unable to get rid of is stored in your fat cells. Your fat not only under your skin but the protective fat around your organs and in your blood too. Your brain is mostly made up of fat. Even when aggressive methods of detox are used, only around 30% is removed. the rest is still in the fat.
Losing excess weight is very beneficial in getting rid of toxins. Your stored fat is converted to triglycerides (fat in your blood) and is used as energy and excreted through sweat, urinating, bowel movements and even when we exhale. This is how the toxins are removed. This may make you want to go on a restrictive diet or a purely liquid detox diet but these are usually counter-productive because they deprive your body of essential nutrients it needs to function.
The most effective are the ones where lipolysis (break down of fat) occurs. Because toxins are hidden in the fat cells. This fat cell should burst in order to release those stubborn toxins. Read here about eating a full-fat diet for weight loss. No more hunger or fatigue, just great results.
Sources Of Toxins
Toxins are everywhere these days and some sources may surprise you:
- Heavy metals: Mercury is a big problem. We get it from the seafood that we eat especially from fish like tuna, salmon, and swordfish. Fish like anchovies have the least amount at 1- 10 parts per billion, which is 1000 times lower than these other fish. We even get it from fillings (amalgam) put into our teeth, though, many dentists are no longer using these fillings.
Does this say that we should not eat this superfood tuna? The answer is that whenever I eat tuna after some hours I will take cocumut cjrcol or chlorella to bind these toxins before they are accumulated in the body.
- Foods: Other foods that contribute is rice. Rice is high in arsenic, especially brown rice. While arsenic is found in other grains and vegetables too, rice by far has the highest content. When oils are cooked at temperatures above their smoke point, this also produces toxins. Read here about cooking your food correctly to boost your health rather than ruining it.
- Medications: Perscription medications can accumulate in our bodies. Usually, this happens as people get older but because they accumulate in our fat, it can happen to younger people too.
- Beauty products: It's not only beauty products that contain toxins, but even common things like soap, shampoo, and toothpaste can contain toxins. These toxins build up over time. One of the culprits in the spotlight is sunscreen, and many other lotions and products contain some of the same harmful toxins.
- Cleaning products: Cleaning products are full of chemicals that cause irritations and some interfere with our hormones. These chemicals can also build up in our bodies.
- Mold: Mold in our homes and office buildings have a terrible effect on our health. Toxic black mold is especially harmful. Read here about safe and natural ways to clean mold.
- Radiation: EMF or electromagnetic frequencies are all around us. They are emitted by all digital devices and anything that uses electricity of some sort. Wi-fi routers, computers, cell phones, televisions, airplanes, and power lines are just some of the things that produce EMF. Learn to protect you and your family from the dangers of EMF here.
- Pollution: Pollution, especially air pollution is a big problem. Cars and trucks, airplanes, even ships release carbon monoxide and other gasses. During festive times, fireworks are a problem. Even farms, especially beef farms emit a lot of methane gasses. Our soils are also polluted and full of pesticides and our oceans are full of plastic, oil, and other rubbish.
Symptoms Of Toxins In Your Body
Toxins do not always lead to a disease, it can take many years for this to happen, but you could be experiencing some of the following problems that detract from your quality of life. It's most common for there to be a problem in phase II of the detoxification process which takes place in the liver. This causes waste and toxins to build up in your body.
Symptoms Of Waste Build Up In Your Body Include:
- Brain fog/Poor memory
- Body odor/Bad breath
- Sinus congestion or other sinus issues
- Menstrual problems
- Trouble losing weight
- Thyroid problems
The symptoms cover a wide range of things because toxins can affect so many different areas of your body including your hormones. Some toxins can cause estrogen dominance which can cause many unpleasant problems. The problem is that toxins act like xenoestrogens in some cases. But some chemicals can also affect men and boys too.
Common Detox Methods
There are many methods you can use that are safe and easy. Some forms are more aggressive and caution needs to be taken to follow the instructions properly. Then there are some that are just plain unhealthy.
Avoid these detox methods:
- Extreme amounts of fiber and laxative teas: There are supplements that are available on the market to detox your system, particularly your digestive system or colon. Once you take them you need to visit the toilet several times a day. Not only do you lose electrolytes, but you will struggle to fully absorb nutrients from your food too.
- Juice cleanse: This involves drinking only vegetable and fruit juices for several days at a time. Some people even do these detox weeks at a time. The number of calories in these juices are not enough to sustain your body properly. Another issue is that all the fiber is removed. If you use just fruit, you are pumping your body full of sugar.
- The master cleanses: Drinking only two tablespoons maple syrup, two tablespoons lemon juice, and 1/6 teaspoon cayenne pepper a couple times a day is not healthy especially if this is all you drink for 10 days in a row and you incorporate a laxative tea as well. You risk nutritional deficiencies and starvation.
- Enemas: I am not against enemas, but if you are pulling so many toxins in the blood at once, pls stick them to charcoal.
These types of methods can have long-lasting effects on your health and not in a good way. You may lose muscle mass, upset your hormone balance, cause an electrolytes balance, and/or become weak and lethargic. You may lose weight quickly on these cleanses or detoxes, but your metabolism will slow down because your body is trying to prevent you from starving. This does not help you to maintain a healthy weight long-term. People who do these cleanses regularly are putting their health in danger.
The Best Full Body Detoxification Protocol
Below are aggressive detoxes for severe toxic overloads and the more gentle detoxes to help your body along.
1. Dr. George Yu's Niacin Detox Protocol
Niacin is vitamin B3 and though it comes in other forms (nicotinamide and nicotinic acid), niacin is the only form of vitamin B3 that specifically works to detox the body. It metabolizes fat which as you know reduces toxins in our bodies since most of it is stored in our fat. It was originally designed to help the firefighters who had severe toxic after the conditions they had to work in when the World Trade Centre collapsed.
It's also used in many hospitals and drug rehabilitation centers to help detox drug addicts. The full method is good for anyone who works in a toxic environment or where there are lots of chemicals and fumes and has had their health affected by it. Niacin also helps to remove heavy metals which most people these days are exposed to from our fat. Dr. Yu typically has his patients follow this protocol for 30 days.
This form of detoxification is very aggressive and is not for everyone. Do Not Do The Niacin Flush If:
- You have a kidney disorder
- A liver disorder
- You are pregnant
- Take the pill, starting from 50 mg, way your work up to 5000 mg
- Do a 30-minute workout.
- Then sit in an infrared sauna for 30 minutes.
- Shower to remove the toxins in your sweat.
- Take 2-3 capsules of coconut charcoal.
This is a very aggressive form of detox that must be supervised by a physician. Very Important:
- Supplement type: Niacin immediate release, full strength supplements should be used.
- Dose: Start at 100 mg and go up to 5000 mg. It will be more comfortable for you if your body gets used to it first. This will minimize the side effects.
- Side effects: At high doses of niacin your skin will turn red and you will likely feel itchy and it may even feel a slight burn. This is called the niacin flush and is harmless. You can take steps to ease these symptoms like taking a cool shower if you are very uncomfortable.
- Coconut charcoal: 500 mg of coconut charcoal and/or zeolite clay will help to absorb the toxins that have been released.
- Hydrate: When you are done with the cleanse, after each session, you must rehydrate your body and replace lost electrolytes. Coconut water is a great option because it contains vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and even amino acids (protein). Sugar-free sports drinks that contain all the electrolytes also help.
- Warning: Do not take extended-release or slow-release niacin supplements for long periods of time. It can cause problems in the liver and may cause bleeding in the intestines over time. Immediate release is a better type of supplement.
2. Chelation Therapy
Chelation therapy is used to detox the body from heavy metals (lead, mercury, aluminum, arsenic, iron, and copper). The process involves injecting a chelator or chelating agent (either EDTA into your bloodstream. The type of chelators you inject is either a synthetic amino acid called EDTA (ethylene diamine tetra-acetic acid) or DMP (2,3-Dimercapto-1-propane sulfonic acid).
You can also take an oral chelator known as succimer or DMSA (Dimercaptosuccinic acid). The chelators bond with the heavy metals so that they can't poison your body and are then expected, usually in your urine or they can be absorbed by activated charcoal. As soon as the heavy metals are bound, they stop poisoning your body. Heavy metal build up can lead to many diseases because they affect the way your whole body functions.
- Chelation should be done by a doctor trained to do chelation only as there are risks involved, mostly if the body is unable to get rid of the toxins that have been bound.
- It is usually only recommended in more severe cases of heavy metal poisoning.
- You may get side effects like diarrhea, a rash, nausea, vomiting, or poor appetite.
If you eat foods that contain these heavy metals often like certain fish and rice, have undergone radiation or chemotherapy, been vaccinated or have a filling in your teeth you can benefit from chelation therapy.
Less Aggressive Detox
- Water with lemon: Drinking enough water, which many people do not, is important to flush toxins. You can also have water with the juice of half a lemon in the morning to help your body to detox. Lemons give your body a vitamin C boost plus it aids digestion and helps to alkalize your body making it more effective at detoxing and preventing illnesses.
- Eat organic foods: So much of our fresh produce is full of pesticides and herbicides so organic is the safer option. Check out the dirty dozen list by the Environmental Work Group (EWG). You should also be eating whole foods and avoiding processed foods so that you can support your body with the necessary nutrients.
- Sauna: Saunas, especially infrared saunas, are great for getting rid of the toxins in your body. Using a sauna after exercise and even exercising inside a sauna can really help to get rid of the toxins in your body. Stay hydrated before, during and after.
Exercise makes you sweat, increases your blood circulation and rate of breathing, and burns fat. All these things help your body to detox. You may need extra help to remove the toxins from your body, like a sauna, or one of the other methods listed below.
Supplements For Detoxing
1. NAC, ALA, Or Glutathione
Glutathione is a very powerful antioxidant that is produced by the liver which also plays a key role in detoxing the body. It helps in particular for the effects of drugs and alcohol, some medications and even those toxins that have a carcinogenic effect.The problem is that the body relies heavily on glutathione and it can be depleted quicker than the body can make if the body is exposed to lots of toxins constantly.
Make very sure when buying glutathione that it's liposomal so that it's able to withstand your stomach acid. NAC (N-acetyl cysteine) is what is responsible for making Glutathione. ALA (alpha lipoic acid) recycles used glutathione so that it can be used again by the body and boosts the level of glutathione in your cells.
Boosting Glutathione Naturally
- Whey protein
- Raw milk
- Raw egg whites
- A wide variety of colorful vegetables
- Foods high in sulfur (e.g. broccoli, kale, cauliflower, cabbage, onions, eggs, and grass-fed meat)
- Cruciferous vegetables (e.g. broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, radishes, turnips, and bok choy)
Other Natural Detox Methods
Caution When Using NAC, ALA, or Glutathione:
- Glutathione can lower zinc levels and if inhaled it can cause an asthma attack.
- Avoid ALA if you have a thiamine deficiency.
- Speak to your doctor if you are on medication or scheduled for surgery before taking these supplements.
Dosage for the supplements:
2. Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal is made out of burnt coconut shells, wood, olive pips or peat. In a medical setting activated charcoal is used to treat medication and iron overdose as well as alcohol or cyanide poisoning. This requires large doses and should only be used under medical supervision. It's safe to use in lower doses and is available as a supplement in capsule or powder form.
It's very beneficial to take after exercising or after being in a sauna to absorb and remove any toxins left behind. Activated charcoal removes toxins by absorbing them and then being excreted when you defecate. Never use the charcoal you use to light your barbeque, it's not the same thing and can be toxic.
Some Precautions When Using Activated Charcoal:
- Speak to your doctor if you are on medication before using activated charcoal.
- Rather avoid activated charcoal if you have digestive problems such as ulcers or an intestinal blockage.
- Activated charcoal can prevent nutrients from being absorbed so take it between your meals.
3. Calcium-D Glucarate For Detox
Calcium-D glucarate is a salt that helps your body re-establish glucuronidation detoxification. Your body uses this process to bind toxins and excrete them. This process can be disrupted by an excess of an enzyme called glucuronidase caused by unhealthy changes in the gut which stops your body from detoxing properly.
Taking a calcium-D glucarate supplement blocks the effects of glucuronidase. There are tests your doctor can perform to check your glucuronidase levels. You can take 400-600 mg twice a day, morning and evening.
Probiotics help your gut to function as it's supposed to and helps it to get rid of toxins. Antibiotics, unhealthy diets, stress, and alcohol can all change your gut flora making it unable to detox your body properly. There are different strains of probiotics but you can find a supplement that contains all the strains which will take care of all the toxins in your body. A variety of probiotic foods will also help.
Probiotics In Fermented Foods:
How much you need to take depends on your particular needs but following the dosage instructions on the label is a good starting point. You can try this probiotic supplement by Dr. Mercola. It contains all the strains of probiotics.
Chlorella is derived from algae. It acts as a binder the same way activated charcoal does but without binding to the beneficial minerals in your body. You can find it supplement form as a powder or even as tablets. It's a great addition to your smoothies in powdered form.
Caution When Using Chlorella:
- It can raise iron levels too high, especially in men and postmenopausal women.
- Some people experience side effects like nausea, vomiting, swelling in the face or mouth, and fatigue.
- Do not use chlorella if you are allergic to iodine.
The dosage of the powder is 1/2 teaspoon and for the tablets, it's 3-6 tablets per day (split dose). Start at a low dose and increase it slowly. Only use broken wall chlorella supplements because otherwise the nutrients will not be absorbed.
Other Natural Detox Methods
1. Cruciferous Vegetables
Cruciferous vegetables contain glucosinolates that create isothiocyanates which boost the detoxing abilities of the liver as well as glucosinolate glucobrassicin which creates a substance called indole-3-carbinol. Cruciferous vegetables also contain a substance called sulforaphane, broccoli is the best source.
These substances enhance detoxification by the liver by increasing the response of the enzymes that are responsible for detoxification which protects against all sorts of toxins and carcinogens and by speeding up both phases (I and II) of the detox process by the liver.
Which Vegetables Are Cruciferous:
- Brussels sprouts
- Bok choy
- Collard greens
2. Collagen for Non-Vegetarians
Collagen is a protein in our bodies that is not only good for anti-aging but helps to detox our bodies too. Collagen is partly made up of the amino acid glycine which helps to support the liver in detoxing the body by neutralizing the toxins. This also helps take some of the burdens off of your kidneys too. Collagen is especially important for meat-eaters. This is because as the meat, eggs, and seafood are an abundant source of methionine.
Methionine is necessary in the body for many important functions and it's an essential amino acid meaning we need to get it from our diet. It even plays a detoxing role as well. But too much of it is harmful to the body. It produces homocysteine which can affect the way your blood vessels work and can cause illnesses over time. Collagen helps to get rid of excess methionine.
It's also helpful in detoxing the body from alcohol too. You can find a collagen or glycine supplement to take, but there are also natural ways to get collagen in your diet either by eating it directly or eating foods that boost the production of collagen.
Foods That Boost Collagen Levels:
- Bone broth
- Wild salmon
- Leafy green vegetables
- Red vegetables
- Sulfuric foods like garlic and olives
- Seeds like pumpkin and chia seeds
Dosage depends on the type of supplement you use. There are different types of collagen that help for different things in the body. Dr. Axe has a good explanation of each type. Follow the dosage on the label and take your collagen supplements on an empty stomach. Choose organic collagen and if choose bovine collagen (from beef) make sure it comes from grass-fed beef.
What To Avoid During A Detox
- Processed foods
- Wheat and gluten. Find out more about gluten-free grains your body will love!
- Caffeine may also not be beneficial
- Meat should be reduced or cut out as should other acidic foods. Read about which foods are alkaline and how they prevent diseases here.
- Whatever detox you do, make sure to take coconut charcoal or zeolite clay after the detox so that it can stick to the toxins in the body.
- In case of sauna detox, replenish your electrolytes or take salt water inside the sauna. Make sure the bottle you use is a BPA free heat resistant bottle so that chemicals do not leach into your water and the material doesn't burn you.
- Do not forget to take a shower after sweating because it will wash off all the toxins on the skin.
- The most powerful detox is the niacin detox protocol and chelation. Do these under the supervision of a medical expert only.
- Aggressive detoxes are done for shorter times, but it may vary from a few days to a month. Your doctor will work with you accordingly.
- Gentle cleanses can be done for a few weeks at a time, up to 6 weeks.
- After detoxing, if you feel really unwell like brain fog, fatigue, nausea, body aches, diarrhea or bad breath, then increase the toxin binders like clay, charcoal, and chlorella.
- Detoxing can be a tough process and you can experience mood swings, acne, frequent bowel movements, headaches. etc. Start with a low dose and work your way up slowly to help minimize these symptoms. Eat organic foods and drink lots of water.
- Only use the recommended dosages of the supplements. Even natural products can do harm when overdosed.
- Stick to a healthy diet, exercise and if possible, sauna sessions to keep your body toxin free.