How to Kill Black Molds Naturally: Using Tea Tree Oil, Baking Soda And Vinegar
In this article, I will be discussing mold, including toxic black mold, the symptoms mould causes and how to get rid of it.
What is Mold
Mold is a type of fungus and in nature, it helps to decompose dead natural material. But as many of you may have seen it can often enter houses or any other indoor space. In addition to damaging or making parts of your home look bad, it can often cause health problems.
There are many different kinds of mold, and not all of them release toxins that cause severe reactions but even the less dangerous molds cause symptoms in some people, especially children, such as wheezing, coughing and asthma. All of these symptoms can worsen as the mold continues to grow and becomes worse.
People who have poor immune systems such as those undergoing chemotherapy or radiation are at especially high risk for these types of symptoms because the spores can settle and grow in their lungs as their bodies aren't as good at removing toxins and foreign objects as those of healthy people.
One of the most common types of toxic mold in buildings is black mold also known as Stachybotrys chartarum. This mold releases toxins called mycotoxins which cause many severe symptoms. It is a black mold tinged with green and is usually slimy unless it's dry in which case it can look powdery. The symptoms caused by this type of mold are much more severe and can become life-threatening.
Collection Of Symptoms Due To Black Mold In Your House
Symptoms are not always isolated. Unfortunately, often there will be a collection of symptoms, some even resembling everyday issues like hay fever that you might think is due to age or seasonal changes. They can worsen and interfere with your daily life if you are exposed to them long-term.
Sometimes medical professionals miss the fact that the symptoms patients experience come from mold in their homes or offices. This is because they often can't see the cause of the symptoms.
- Flu-like symptoms like sinus problems, coughs, aches, and sweating.
- Fatigue and Brain Fog
- Rashes Joint pain
- Vomiting, diarrhoea, and heartburn
- Short-term memory loss
- Drops in IQ, especially in children
- Feeling disorientated and confused
- Mood swings
- Hypertension and shortness of breath
- Muscle weakness, in some cases to the point where some people can't walk
- Weight gain
Molds can give you cravings for sugar and can completely destroy your immune system. It is important to be able to recognize any symptoms you may be experiencing and whether they could be from mold present in your house.
It's important that if you do have a mold that you get rid of it and take steps to prevent it from growing whether you are experiencing symptoms or not. Read on to find out how.
Places Where Mold Grows
Mold spores are present in the air and this is often how it enters your home or office. All they need to thrive is moisture and oxygen and can be very resilient. This makes your kitchen, bathroom and anywhere else where there is a leak or damp the ideal place for mold to grow. Some types of mold spores can even survive when dry which makes it easier for them to settle and grow indoors.
Certain types of mold can be found on food when it goes off. But sometimes due to improper storage or farming methods and environmental conditions, it can even grow on foods like grains and nuts before they even reach you. Be sure to buy reputable brands only and never eat moldy food. Get rid of it immediately.
In some cases, you may not be able to see the mold, such as when it's inside the walls or under the floor. This is common in homes that are not built with bricks. Unfortunately, the spores still end up in the air where they can settle on your belongings such as your clothing and furniture.
Here Are Some Of The Other Common Areas Where Mold Occurs:
- Windows, especially during the colder months when they mist up and there is condensation
- Kitchen and bathroom sinks
- Along with the bath or in the shower
- In the roof and on the ceiling
- Carpets and floorboards
- On the walls especially in the bathroom
- Outside on wood and around or inside drains
Often a musty smell accompanies the mold. If it is in a place where there is poor airflow, like a bathroom where the windows are closed (which is often part of the problem) or there are no windows, you will smell it more. This is especially true if it affects fabrics like carpets and furniture as they will definitely start to smell.
Remove Mold Naturally
Removing mold naturally is the best way. Some chemicals that are often used in household cleaners such as bleach can react badly with the mold and even those that are specifically manufactured to get rid of mold and can be toxic or irritating to the eyes, nose, mouth, and skin. These natural cleaners listed below are effective at killing molds and are far safer.
Mold can be stubborn so you may need to scrub or rub hard to get rid of it. When you are done wiping or scrubbing the mold away with a brush, cloth or sponge, you need to thoroughly clean it immediately using boiling hot water or get rid of it to prevent mold from coming back. Dead mold spores can still cause health problems, so be mindful of this.
Killing Black Mold
If you suspect that you have toxic black mold growing in your home or office, it is best to call a professional to test it. They will do this by taking a sample of it back to the lab to run the tests. If it is, in fact, toxic black mold, it is best to get the professionals in to remove it as it can release dangerous spores when disturbed. Make sure that the company you choose is certified and reputable.
Your DIY Guide to Killing Mold Naturally
Baking Soda for Molds
This is one of the safest ways to remove mold. It doesn't have any negative effects on adults, children or animals and it doesn't smell bad. In fact, it's a well-known remedy to get rid of bad odours. It is also inexpensive.
Dissolve some baking soda in water, you can either use a spray bottle and spray it onto the affected area or you can also dip a cloth into it and wipe it on. You can use a rag, a sponge or a brush to then wipe or scrub away the mold. It can also be used to finish off other methods like the ones listed below.
Vinegar for Molds
Vinegar can be used undiluted to clean away mold and kill the spores. Though the smell is strong, it will go away when it dries. Vinegar isn't irritating to small children so it's ideal and a very affordable solution. You can spray it directly onto the area or apply it with a rag. You can then rub or scrub it away.
It can also be used to finish up after you've used one of the other methods. To prevent mold from coming back you can spray or wipe down your shower or any other areas prone to mold with vinegar every few weeks.
H2o2 or Hydrogen Peroxide for Molds
This is a great and inexpensive way to get rid of mold. It works well on hard surfaces and kills germs as well. Mix a teaspoon with a cup of water. You can use these measurements to make more if you need to. Spray it on or dip your cloth into it and wipe it onto the area so that it's completely covered and wet. Wait 10 minutes to make sure all the mold is dead.
You can then wipe it down with a rag soaked in vinegar to get rid of any hydrogen peroxide. It is not toxic but it can make small children and animals ill.
Tea Tree Oil For Molds
This is one of the most effective ways to remove mold, but it is pricey. Mix 1 teaspoon (about 10 drops) with a cup of water. You can use it in these measurements to make more if you need to. Using a spray bottle works well because it also mixes well when you put it in a bottle and shake. You can also store mixture easily since it takes a long time for tea tree oil to lose its effectiveness. But if you can't use a spray bottle, a cloth dipped into the mixture and wiped on works just as well.
Spray or wipe it onto the affected surface and leave it on overnight. You can then wipe it off with a cloth dipped in vinegar. Tea tree oil can be toxic to small children and animals in large quantities, so be sure to store it in a safe place.
- Mold is a common occurrence in buildings and in the diet
- Mold is found in damp areas with poor airflow as well poorly constructed areas.
- It can cause symptoms like confusion, anxiety, joint pain, diarrhoea, and vomiting.
- You can get rid of it naturally using baking soda, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or tea tree oil.
- Always thoroughly wash the items used to clean the mold or dispose of them to keep dead spores from staying behind.
- Wipe down surfaces in the bathroom with vinegar every few weeks,
- Open the windows to improve airflow and repair any leaks or structural damage to your home to prevent mold from growing.